My experience with Business Networking

I visited business networking a bit like carollers, house-to-house or homeless people

I visited business networking a bit like carollers
I visited business networking meetings a bit like carollers,
door-to-door or homeless people.... knock knock!
 Can you let me in?!? Or giving me something?!?
One day I decided to join a Business networking group with no idea how many of them existed. And as it turned out, there are several, or even very many, from which it would be necessary to choose the one, that is, the perfect one! So, for two months, 3-4 times a week, (seriously - I have got each one in my calendar) I joined various business networking on Zoom. And a few others that I meet in person. I wanted to know what the differences were, how much they cost, what their benefits are, and where I could sign up knowing it was right for me....☝

I visited; FSB (interesting webinars are available online), NBN- Natural Business Network, Kent Business Network, Rebellious Business Network, The art of speech, Essex Business Network, MNC, IBN (the most serious one where people are paying for being a part of it), RIBA South Essex business network, Go business networking, CIS, Met @ 4 Network.

Business network meetings - some too serious,
some expensive, some not much welcome to become a part of it!


As you can see, I have searched carefully but have only found one that has really great people attending and the presenter doesn't stress anyone out, smiles and doesn't insult people for being human.👎


Comparatively, I will say that some are paid and others are not. Some meetings are downright unpleasant or only aimed at one type of person. There are also only for women or only for coaches, only for Christians, etc. 

Someone once told me that business networking is like a cult.
 They meet, not everyone can be there,
they make you pay for it,
and when you want to break free from them,
it's not so easy.

But I didn't consider them at all. I had encountered some of them before when I started my company. But there were others that I couldn't attend because there was already a trainer on their team or (I don't know what to call it) among the members and they didn't want another one. Nobody explained to me why. There were rules like that in at least 3 that I haven't listed here because I couldn't attend them. What a shame to be so unfriendly to other companies.

Funny enough, they all advertise that this is the right place for you and that they will help you with everything.👀


Just like me, huh? I already know how that sounds. But to the point. I visited the recommended ones first, and then the ones I found on my own. So, without offending anyone (I'll try, though sometimes it's difficult) - I'll tell about my impressions in points. Some of them relate to more than one networking meeting, but I will not list them. Because I may... have found myself at an unusual time and quite accidentally found myself at an unpleasant meeting, which has never happened before.😂 The thing I didn't like happened once or for the first time,  and all the other meetings are great and it just happened to me.... etc. 

Disgusted behaviour during a business network meetings in essex


So here we go;

Impression # 1: I almost fell asleep during the boring lectures on supposedly interesting topics, but told like a bedtime story. Where is that pitch speaking which everybody has to do?


Impression # 2: I don't know them yet, but they want money! I don't know why they want 5,000. a year for membership ... I don't even know if I want to be here, I don't even know them. Hello, what should I do? Why so expensive? It was kind of like having someone open the door for you when you were just knocking on the door to see if it was the right place, and they billed you for that knock. My emotions are as follows: a pinch of surprise, a tiny spoonful of annoyance, a half glass of laughter. And a slamming door!


Impression # 3. After the free 30 mins. even though I bought the ticket through Eventbrite, I was told by the lady on staff that I should pay (as if the ticket was in the free category) Right after that, one attendee said she had been paying for two years but wanted to unsubscribe because it wasn't worth it. (Very motivating! and I felt so sorry to her as she looked frustrated - not sure what they did to her). Ps. They still have free Eventbrite passes, and the woman who told me about paying was drastically unpleasant. My emotions here; how can one commit such a thing? 

How can others take part in it, one big disgust?


So, from start to finish I wasn't able to talk to anyone after saying hello, and yes their invitation was public online! Emotional stage: Soo confused...

Impression # 4: They were drinking coffee, talking about their topics related to hmm, everything! It was a bit like meeting your partner's family for the first time when you don't know each other and they talk amongst themselves and you have no idea what you can say because guess what.... you don't know each other! So, from start to finish I wasn't able to talk to anyone after saying hello, and yes their invitation was public online! Emotional stage: Soo confused...


So, just to be clear I wasn't an uninvited guest at any of them or someone who wasn't invited to the party to break in. I had about 3 of those meetings. Poor welcome to new members and zero openness of any kind.


I will add that all the magnifying links were legitimately purchased by me personally over the internet where business networking was advertised.


Impression # 5:Business networking meeting is a place where everyone talks about themselves and nothing comes of it. Leaving contact information or an offer to work together is only verbal and nothing happens after that. Not just in my example, but after repeating the meeting with them and the next one. Nothing happened, and when I mentioned it during the meeting, others confirmed it. People should share their contact information or be happy to invite each other after the meeting so they can do collaborate in the future, but during this meeting, there was a very cold atmosphere too. I don't know how come all these cold hearted people are here?


Impression # 6:Business networking's where everyone talks about their business for 3-5 minutes and .... silence follows. Why? Unknown. Nothing happens, no questions or feedback only silence. No comments, you present your business and move on, Neeext, please! moments later another person presents a business. There were 20 people there, it took an awfully long time (3 hours) and in the end, nothing happened too. There were 2 such business portals like this...


Impression # 7 Non-stop business networking, I was so tired after it. I don't know about you, but when I see that I'm signing up for a 3.5-hour meeting, I expect a break to breathe or go to the restroom. I arrived at this meeting at 9am, so it was already breakfast time. There were about 15 people gathered for a close-up and one eating. To me, this was not unusual, but to the presenter it was outrageous. 

She was terribly indignant and the atmosphere became very unpleasant, although before it was not nice at all.
How dare you be hungry or need to pee...
No break! You have to sit here!
It's The Business Network!
I'll say more than that, later on, someone had to leave with the dog. Someone else went to the toilet. Apparently, nothing more than 5 minutes was needed, but the host seemed to be getting more and more indignant. It's a good thing I didn't turn the camera on, because in the meantime I ate breakfast and cooked dinner. You could see on her face that she was disgusted with the behaviour of the participant who DARED to eat a roll! But that's not all, because the next one had to leave with her dog for 5min, for me it's still taking care of basic physiological needs, but for the leader, it's not. She was terribly indignant and the atmosphere became very unpleasant, although before it was not nice at all.

But there was no break from beginning to end, and the atmosphere was getting more and more unpleasant because of the guilt of others for daring to do something in the meantime, during the meeting.


And now, the business networking I stayed at and learned about from one outraged person who was probably looking for her own place, just like me.


Our parents teach us to speak and we grow up and can't speak, how's that? Unfortunately, that's the way it is and you have to learn from the ground up.


I found a group where they teach you how to speak. There are several experts there who can tell you if you speak fluently, what your tone of voice is, and if your tone of voice is right. How much valuable information was in your speech and what needs to be improved. What Interested Membership is free and there are classes in church rooms.

I love people who are willing to share their knowledge and experience to help. Let's share yours below, did you attend any Business Networking Meetings? How about your impressions?


I'm doing that myself as well. When I first attended, I thought; this is it! I need that kind of help! Not quirky business mentors and not the "path to success" of another person who has read the same books I have read. And not someone who should know the topic I'm talking about but is completely silent. I am here now! I'm in the middle of it! 


I am so happy that my journey from one business network to another has been successful!

Comments